March’s Superstar Wine of the Month

“LE MAS DES FLAUZIÈRES” LA GRANDE RESERVE 2009

In January your dedicated Noble Vines team trotted off to the French Association of Independent Wine Growers Fair in London to find something special to add to our Wines of the Month selection. And sure enough, we found this lovely Gigondas from le Mas des Flauzières along with wine grower Jérôme Benoit to tell us all about it.

Jérôme’s vineyard is located on dramatic slopes and terraces facing south over the foothills of Dentelles de Montmirail, in France’s Rhône Valley. Many grape varieties are grown in the Rhône, amongst which the Grenache, Syrah and Mourvèdre grapes used here are lovingly harvested by hand, to ensure the best are chosen.

M. Benoit is most particular in his wine-making, and ages 90% of the grape must in old, French oak barrels and the remaining 10% in new oak, for a total of 21 months.  This gives the wine a full-bodied structure and the expressive aromas and flavours which make this wine so memorable.

The nose displays a very complex bouquet of figs and plums mixed with hints of aromatic garrigue, or forest-floor scents, star anise and cloves which gradually turn to deeper notes of mocha and roasted coffee.

The palate is warm, powerful and densely structured as the alcohol, elegant tannins and acidity are in such good balance.  We loved the souvenir of ripe, sweet cherry, cocoa and spice we were left with!

This wonderful example of Gigondas would go marvellously well with roasted quails, a venison stew or with a plate of spicy French cheeses such as Cantal or Mont de Cats.

Not too much of this lovely wine escapes France, but if you would like to find some, please contact us for further details at info@noblevines.co.uk, or telephone 01932 828 129

Superstar Wine of the Month selected by Simona Caprioli.  Why not mail us with your suggestion for Wine of the Month at info@noblevines.co.uk?

-ends-

Fall in love with wine at Noble Vines Wine School

Visit: www.noblevines.co.uk for news, courses and upcoming tastings

For further information please contact:

Chris Cowan:  01932 828 129 or 07957 293729

E-mail: info@noblevines.co.uk